Please note: Our capacity to deliver In Community programmes is now full. There are still a few remaining spaces for groups to complete Day programmes on centre - at Great Tower OR Gilwell Park in November 2021, or January/February 2022.
We’re running funded programmes to create a generation of Green Champions.
Green Champions are young people from Scout or school groups who have completed a 5 step programme which makes a positive impact in their community. This could be improving habitats for birds, bugs and bees, learning about the importance of trees and plants, or taking positive steps toward recycling and reducing waste.
Participants take part in an instructed programme led by our Green Volunteers. After this they then have 3 months to complete a short project which will have a positive impact in their community. We’ll support you to help them achieve this and when it's done we will award them a certificate and the Stage 1 Community Impact Badge to recognise their efforts in improving the place they live.
The programme is flexible - we have designed it so that it works for you:
- We can come to you and deliver in your school, Scout HQ or even a local park OR
- You can come to us at one of our centres and you just have to cover the cost of getting to us, and if you want to stay for the whole day we'll give you loads of ideas to fill your time for free.
- Our volunteers can lead Steps 1 and 2 in a single half day for you OR
- We can lead Step 1 in a shorter session, then you can lead Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 when it's convenient.
- We'll provide you with support, ideas and resources for every step.
The programme is open to everyone, however, we will prioritise groups who have high numbers of young people who fall within the target demographic for Generation Green.
The project aims to improve equitable access to the outdoors. This means providing support to groups who face social, financial, cultural or practical barriers to participation.
Groups we will prioritise:
1. Live in locations which are either Urban, or Coastal, or in the North or the Midlands AND
2. Have young people who are Black, Asian, Minority Ethnicity OR have physical or educational needs OR live within areas categorised as IMD1-3, OR face other financial hardship.
How will you know if you are on the priority list?
We will ask you for relevant details of your group when you register.
There is also a detailed document on Eligibility in the “Find Out More" section below.
You can also use our online checker to check if your postcode meets the criteria for part one of the list.
All versions of our Green Champion programme share common outcomes:
- To connect young people to the space and place in which they live, taking an active role in their communities.
- To encourage young people to understand, respect and care for the natural environment.
- To prepare young people with skills for life - including planning, dealing with risk, communication, team working, resilience and dedication.
We use the Scout methods that have been proven for over a 100 years by over 37 million people around the world:
- Making choices
- Taking responsibility
- Enjoying what you’re doing
- Learning by doing
- Working in groups
- Learning outdoors
Choose a theme to take part. There are 3 themes to choose from - you can see an overview of each to the right.
Not sure which theme is best for you? Get your group involved! You don't have to make the decision on your own - Explore the themes and run a vote at your next session or Use this online activity to to collect votes from young people on their preferred choice of theme.
Once you have chosen a theme you can register your group for a Green Champion Programme by completing this form
We’ll contact you to agree the dates and details!
We’ve included loads of information in these downloadable PDFs.
Have another question? firstname.lastname@example.org
Generation Green is funded by the government’s Green Recovery Challenge Fund.
The fund is being delivered by The National Lottery Heritage Fund in partnership with Natural England and the Environment Agency.